SO HERE'S TEN DAYS OUT WITH A DIFFERENCE
Days out are more important than ever for making up the lost time spent with family and friends and schools out soon! So here are 10 different ways to create new memories and shared experiences during a day out on the Yorkshire Coast:
- Enjoy an adrenaline-fuelled 4×4 Landrover adventure on a specially built off-road course overlooking Robin Hood’s Bay, with the fully qualified off-road experts at North Yorkshire Off Road Centre. There are driving experiences for everyone from 10 years upwards.
- Get a view of the Yorkshire Coast like no-one else: explore smugglers coves and caves by kayak or coasteering, with the coast’s premier water-adventure experts, Bay Watersports. Based in the marine wildlife haven of Filey, you can also go seafaring on Paddleboards, or learn how to sail, ending the day with a thrilling race! There’s qualified instruction available for all ages and abilities, and a huge welcome for family groups.
- Take a two-wheeling rollercoaster on the new North York Moors Cycleway, a ‘figure of eight’ off-road cycling trail through 200 miles of some of the UK’s most amazing scenery, with plenty of cycling-friendly accommodation, cafes and tea rooms along the way. The cycleway follows the old ‘Cinder Track’ between Scarborough and Whitby – the old railway route, so it never gets too hilly. It is one of the country’s most scenic seaside cycleways, but it will also loop you inland through rolling moorland valleys and dense forests before returning to the ruggedly beautiful Yorkshire Coast. You don’t need to do the whole cycleway, just hop on to explore!
- Family fun-seekers will have the time of their lives at North Yorkshire Water Park. In its vast freshwater lakes outside Scarborough, it has an exuberant new AquaPark where you’ll pit yourself against an inflatable obstacle course, or you can try out a huge number of watersports adventures from pedaloes to their new, state-of-the-art wakeboarding zone.
- Scarborough’s North Bay Railway is one of the few places in the country where you can experience the thrilling Sky Trail Adventure with its labyrinth of high-level ropes & beams.
- Watch whales! The Yorkshire Coast is becoming one of the best places for whale-watching in the UK. For a thrilling face-to-fin encounter, enjoy a sea voyage with Yorkshire’s own ‘whale whisperer’, the captain of Whitby Whale Watching during magical twilight tours (book now for 2022); or catch a boat with Yorkshire’s ‘David Attenborough’, local wildlife hero and expert Richard Baines from Yorkshire Coast Nature.
- Ride the UK’s biggest, fastest and most exhilarating, state-of-the-art waterslides, at Scarborough Alpamare. There is also a giant wave pool, outdoor infinity pool and fun Splash & Play area for younger children. Perfect for water-babies from teens to tots!
- From Seashore Safaris to making your own marine-themed masterpiece, Yorkshire Wildlife Trust’s flagship Living Seas Centre explores Filey’s coves, caves, rockpools and reefs and the wonderful marine life beneath the waves.
- Become a real-life adventurer with bushcraft survival, go food foraging and fossil-hunting on the abundant shoreline, or spend an evening exploring Britain’s starriest skies – all in the company of nature experts, Hidden Horizons. They run events and day trips right across the coast for all ages – including a new ‘forest school’ for pre-school age children, the Dalby Diddlers. You also visit them and enjoy hands-on activities in their new base, The Fossil Shop in Scarborough.
- Go on a curious quest. Scarborough and Whitby have some of the weirdest, most wonderful museums in the country, places to see extraordinary things not to be found anywhere else, including: a giant, ancient ‘sea-monster’ at Scarborough Rotunda, and the magical and the mysterious Hand of Glory at Whitby Museum.