How to avoid winter bad hair days
As we approach the dark, cold days of mid-winter, Gareth Vance, Senior Creative Director at Sassoon Leeds tells you how to look good with styles that looks cool, pared back and have effortless shine.
PREPARE: Add softness, shine and strength
1. Good hair starts with good nutrition – Vidal Sassoon believed in the importance of inner health and its impact on outer appearance, particularly in relation to hair.
2. The stresses of everyday living can put a strain on hair from heat styling and brushing to the changes in temperature when stepping inside and out during the winter months. If hair is damaged, tired or feeling over-processed try using a nourishing masque 1-2 times a week to help strengthen and restore the hair.
Protect & Perfect: Beat frizz, breakage and fading
1. To maintain your colour as long as possible use a shampoo and conditioner, such as Sassoon Professional Illuminating Clean and Condition that will lock in colour longer and leave your hair glossy and beautifully lustrous
2. Be kind to your hair. If you do need to reach for the styling tools, use a heat protector such as Sassoon Professional Halo Hydrate before blow-drying and apply a serum before using straightening irons to seal in a polished shine.
3. Hair is most prone to breakage when wet, so brushing it through after a shower is bad news! Instead, comb through with a wide-toothed comb while your hair is coated in your favourite conditioner or repair mask.
4. Try to avoid shampooing hair in hot water, as the heat can damage and dry the hair. Use warm water and then a cool rinse as this will add extra shine whilst locking in vital moisture.
Style: Easy to maintain hair
1. Tame flyaways and frizz with a lightweight serum that will lock out humidity.
2. Want to wash and go? Use a mouse, such as Sassoon Professional Edit Body for bounce, hold and shine.
3. For an immaculate modern pony, pull hair tightly into a low pony, which sits just on the nape of the neck and secure with an invisible band. Take a small section of hair out of the ponytail and wrap it around the band and secure with a pin. To finish, spray hair with a fine mist of hair spray for an immaculate finish.